Triple milled soap is often thought of as a luxury compared to the standard run-of-the-mill bar soap. Indeed, it is luxurious. But it is much, much more than a luxury soap.
What is Triple Milled Soap?
Triple milled soap goes through a refinement process that presses the solid through a mill. This process typically involves running the soap through rollers and mesh at high pressure a total of three times (thus, triple milled).
Originally used by French soap makers, it is sometimes called French milled soap. Modern soap makers may utilize different equipment so the process may more accurately be referred to as “refined” rather than “milled.”
Regardless of the equipment used, triple refined, or triple milled soap is well worth the extra effort. The refining process thoroughly blends the ingredients and removes water, air, and impurities from the soap. It is then molded into shape and packaged.
The resulting bar soap has a smooth, uniform consistency with fragrance and color evenly distributed. Because the water and air have been removed, a triple milled bar soap is more dense than both hand poured soaps and the common commercial bar soap. A denser bar soap is slow to break down, so it outlasts others many times over.
A common misconception is that triple refined soaps are harder. Density and hardness are not interchangeable. The hardness is actually dependent upon the type of fat used in the soap formula.
What are the Benefits of Triple Milled Soap?
Triple milled soap is more than just luxurious. Here are some of its advantages:
- Longer lasting than standard commercial or hand poured bar soap – because the soap contains little to no water or air, it can outlast the other types by months.
- More solid, or dense, bar does not quickly soften and dissolve in the soap dish – denser soap is less porous, which means it will not turn to mush as quickly as the others. If soaked in water, it may soften but it should still be solid when it dries (although it may crack).
- Smoother, creamier texture feels more sensuous – you can feel the quality of the finished product just by holding it in your hand.
- Richer, more luxurious lather – you’ll notice a difference in the richness of the lather.
The Sustainable Soap Choice
There’s another advantage to bar soap (triple milled or otherwise) versus liquid soap—sustainability.
Bar soap production uses one fifth of the energy of liquid soap and one twentieth of the energy to package.
From the chemical and synthetic makeup of liquid soap to the plastic packaging, energy required for production, and transportation of the heavier (due to high water content) liquid soap, bar soap is the clear winner.
All soap has some sort of environmental impact. Bar soap’s impact is in the land use required to produce the vegetable or animal fat used in the soap. On the other hand, most liquid soaps are chemical or detergent based so land use is minimal. When used for hand washing, bar soap also requires about 42 percent more water than liquid soap, though it uses only a fraction (15 percent) of the amount of soap.
Overall, the carbon footprint of liquid soap is 25 percent more than that of bar soap.
Gently fragranced with Madagascan vetiver, Italian bergamot, and fresh mandarin, its fragrance lingers without overpowering. With its unisex scent, Maitri Charcoal & Amla Oil Soap is the ideal women’s or men’s soap.
When it comes to feel, its rich texture and lather are on point. And rather than being blocky and hard to hold, it was consciously designed with a contoured oval shape that fits comfortably in the hand.
Maitri charcoal soap benefits:
- Charcoal removes impurities and detoxifies the skin. It’s also a natural exfoliant, removing dead skin cells from the surface of the skin.
- Amla oil, rich in antioxidants, Vitamin C, and tannins, tightens pores, brightens, and hydrates.
- The Vitamin C in amla boosts collagen production and evens out skin tone.
- Eco-certified Madagascan vetiver, Italian bergamot, and fresh mandarin offer a fresh and sophisticated scent that’s chic and not overpowering.
- Triple refined for a better experience and less waste
Sebastian Signs Goat Milk Soaps
Rich in alpha hydroxy acids, vitamins, and minerals, goat milk soaps nourish the skin with their rich, creamy lather. Sebastian Signs No. 17 and No. 35 triple milled goat milk soaps capture the scents of the Numbers Collection while gently bathing you in their moisturizing fragrances.
Whether you prefer Provision’s Maitri Charcoal and Amla Oil soap or one of our heritage brand’s goat milk soaps, the benefits of choosing a triple milled soap are truly luxurious.